Kadayawan Festival is an annual celebration in the City of Davao during the third (3rd) week of August. It is a celebration of life, thanksgiving for the gifts of nature, the wealth of culture, the bounties of harvest and serenity of living. It also focuses on the multicolored mix of Davao and Mindanao’s indigenous communities as well as migrant settlers, whose identities make up the rich cultural heritage of this island. Its name derives from the friendly greeting “Madayaw”, from the Dabawenyo word “dayaw”, meaning good, valuable, superior or beautiful.
The Festival’s activities include:
HUDYAKAAN SA KADAYAWAN
• A 3- week long food and beverage market within Rizal Park that offers local cuisines to tourists and guests every night.
• An ecumenical ceremony in thanksgiving for a year of blessing and bounty. This also marks the start of the Kadayawan activities.
• Environmental projects will be done in thanksgiving to the goodness of nature.
• A showcase of indigenous people’s artifacts, wares, products and cuisines.
• A two- week market showcasing Davao’s products. These products are homegrown, some in organic farms and are also environmentally friendly.
• Tribal performances in different locations of the downtown area filled with music and dancing will be brought for public viewing, courtesy of the city’s ten tribes.
• A music competition bringing together different Mindanaoan musicians and composers.
HIYAS SA KADAYAWAN
• A contest to find the Festival Gem of Davao, the Hiyas sa Kadayawan will be participated in by the members of the ten indigenous tribes of the city.
IP GRAND PERFORMANCE
• The Indigenous People’s Performance is a grand show of the culture and practices and way of living of the ten indigenous tribes.
INDAK – INDAK SA KADALANAN
• A street dancing competition along Davao’s major thoroughfares will culminate in a grand showdown in the Rizal Park area.
• The Pahalipay Concerts will feature various local and national artists in different barangays in the city.
PAMULAK SA KADAYAWAN
• A grand parade of floral floats from competing and non competing entries will be staged at the city’s major thoroughfares.
CONTACT DETAILS: DAVAO CITY TOURISM OPERATIONS OFFICE
Door 8, Magsaysay Park Complex, Davao City
(082) 222-1956 to 58